February 2, 2012

Etiquette Tip of the Week: When you forget what's-his-name...

Have you ever had to introduce two people and you forgot the name of one of them?  "I'd really like you to meet, uh...and you are?..."

Silly tricks like, "Pronounce your last name for me," just don't work.  The person might respond, "It's Smmiiiiitttthhh."

When you forget someone's name, don't finesse, just confess.  Do not say, "I'm sorry, I FORGOT your name."  It is much nicer to say, "Please tell me your name again."  If you can reference anything you remember about the person that will help soften the blow of being forgotten, use it.  "I remember we met at that Super Bowl party...please tell me your name again."

Thank you to the fantastic folks at the Culture & Manners Institute for sharing this great tip!