HAPPY APRIL FOOL'S DAY! Groupon has shared some rather fun Intellectual Property humor over its patent on this holiday that you may enjoy.
DYK? Did you know that the Law Career Services Blog has been recognized as one of the Top 25 College Career Services Blogs? As always, you can follow our blog via RSS feed or by checking out the links at the bottom of this weekly (bi-weekly during breaks) newsletter. We've changed our format so that this more accessible on your smart phones, but please do let us know if you have additional suggestions.
FERP ORIENTATION! If you are interested in participating in the Fall Employer Recruitment Program (FERP) to bid for various private and public interest opportunities, you must attend FERP Orientation (if you've attended in the past, you will not be required to do so again). Those sessions will be held on:
- Thursday, April 7, 2011, 11:45 AM-12:45 PM, 241 Lewis
- Monday, April 11, 2011, 4:45-5:45 PM, 241 Lewis
REPORT YOUR SERVICE HOURS!! The deadline for reporting your service hours to the Pro Bono & Community Service Initiative (PBCSI) is Tuesday, April 12, 2011! If you have volunteered or are currently volunteering, do not forget to report your service hours at http://www.law.depaul.edu/pbcsi. By reporting your pro bono hours, you allow DePaul to accurately track the number of volunteer hours donated by College of Law students. Tracking your hours also makes you eligible to receive a service award in the spring (the PBCSI Reporting and Award Guidelines can be found at http://www.law.depaul.edu/pbcsi). This recognition should be added to your resume and celebrate your accomplishments and service at the Pro Bono & Community Service Initiative's Annual Service Reception and Awards Ceremony is scheduled for Thursday, April 21, 2011 from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. in the Rare Book Room. If you'd like to become involved, or have questions, please email Cheryl Price at email@example.com to be added to her weekly email updates.
Sterling Education Services, Inc. is a non-profit continuing education company that conducts seminars across the nation and is offering 5 free student scholarships to attend their Landlord-Tenant Law seminar in Rockford, Illinois on May 4, 2011. Recipients receive a day-long overview of this area of law, a seminar manual, and an opportunity to network with practicing attorneys. Students must register before the seminar via phone or email. No walk-ins will be allowed. Only current law students may take advantage of these passes and MUST provide their student id number or other proof of enrollment in order to register. (DO NOT REGISTER ONLINE -- you must register via phone or email). For those students who wish to register, they may email Tasha Badzinski at ses15 [at] sterlingeducation.com or call her at (715) 855-0495. Please provide her with the Information on the seminar (Title; City, State; and Date) and your information (Full Name; Student ID# - required; Phone Number; Email Address; Full Mailing Address; School Name).
JUDICIAL CLERKSHIP PROGRAMMING: Are you interested in pursuing a judicial clerkship? Make sure you attend this upcoming programming to help you think out your approach from A(pplication) to R(ecommenders), and everything in between. The Document Library in Symplicity also includes not just the Judicial Clerkship Guide but also a list of DePaul judges (please note, this was updated last fall, before the last set of elections).
- Monday, April 4th: Faculty Member Judicial Clerkship Panel - come hear about successful recommender relationships, how clerkships impact your career, and targeting your search appropriately. Professors David Franklin, Kwall, Evers and Marcuccui. 11:50 a.m., 901 Lewis
- Wednesday, April 6th: Judicial Clerkship Nuts & Bolts - come learn the ins and outs of preparing your application materials and learn about additional resources. 4:30 p.m., 242 Lewis
- Tuesday, April 12th: Clerks' Perspectives, Past & Present: Come hear about how different law clerks secured their positions, the impacts on their careers, and the role of judges as mentors. Tom Judge (Chaplain), Libby Pozolo (Law 2008), James VanZant (Law 2010), Laura Warren (DPU General Counsel)
- Thursday, April 14th: Judicial Clerkship Nuts & Bolts (see above), 4:30 p.m., 803 Lewis
Next Week's Calendar - check out Symplicity, the College of Law, and local bar association calendars for more events, training opportunities, and deadlines.
Monday, April 4, 2011
- 11:50 a.m.: Faculty Member Judicial Clerkship Panel, 901 Lewis
- 4:30 p.m.: The General Growth Financial Crisis - One Man's Personal Journey, DePaul Center - 11th Floor
- Noon, J.D./M.B.A. and Business Law Certificate Info Session, 904 Lewis
- 5:00-5:45 p.m. Drop-In Advising, Law Career Services, 960 O'Malley (the lunch hour session has been cancelled to cover the JD/MBA Panel)
- 4:30 p.m.: Perspectives: Judicial Clerks, Past & Present, 242 Lewis
- 11:45 a.m.: FERP Orientation, 241 Lewis
- 4:30 p.m., Making the Most of Your Law Degree, Off-Site
- 11:30 a.m.: Labor and Employment Law Implications of Bullying and Workplace Violence, Off-Site
- 2L Government Honors & Internship Upcoming Deadlines
- 3L Government Honors & Internship Upcoming Deadlines
- 1L Government Honors & Internship Upcoming Deadlines
- CBA Meetings for Next Week
- Kimball R. Anderson & Karen G. Anderson Public Interest
- Informational Interviews: Part I
- Women's Bar Association of Illinois Mentoring Program
- Make the Most of Your Law Degree
- Book Review: The Modern Rules of Etiquette
- Alternative Careers in Government
- NETWORKING & ROLLER DERBY: Chicago Bar Association YLS Roller Derby Social, 4/9/2011 http://ow.ly/4jFZx
- Eeny, Meeny--Corporate or Litigation? http://tinyurl.com/49dx2n9
- NETWORKING & CELEBRATING! ILAO's 10th Anniversary Celebration, 4/14/2011 http://t.co/PNdzGiM
- May you never need this advice! RT @corporette: New Corporette post: Dressing Professionally with a Cast http://bit.ly/dS4uCg
- RT @PosseList: #Chicago, IL - Patent Agent needed for direct hire position http://conta.cc/hgpYZY #lawjobs #legaljobs
- RT @jasonalba: Networking Introductions (HOW TO) http://bit.ly/bphhjo #must_master!
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT: Learn about mediation | Attorneys in Transition http://ow.ly/4oR6H