March 25, 2009

Informational Interviewing

Some of our best lessons are learned from our peers. In that vein, 1L Nick Metcalf shared his recent successes with Informational Interviewing with the LCS. Nick becomes our first guest blogger:

I had an awesome experience with an informational interview. A friend from undergrad had suggested I meet with her neighbor, an attorney for the EPA. Before the meeting I was nervous because I had never met the attorney and I did not know very much about the EPA. The attorney was an expert in several areas (I found this out through the EPA website) so I researched those areas and gained a basic understanding of what she did. The meeting was extremely helpful, as she had a number of suggestions on how to attack my job search. She also had numerous connections throughout Chicago which she said I could use (I plan to email my resume to her husband who is a corporate attorney). I followed up with a thank you email and I plan to email her my resume. Overall, it went really well.

Have an experience you think others could learn from? Email Alisa Rosales with a brief description to be considered for a future guest blogger opportunity.